Adaku Nwachukwu, the founder and managing partner of AN Law Firm, P.C., has over 17 years of experience in intellectual property (IP) law, working in government technology transfer offices, an in-house legal department, and private practice. She has represented clients from nearly every sector of industry, including small and large biotech and pharmaceutical companies, startup and fortune 500 tech companies, non-profit organizations, as well as companies in fintech, edtech, and manufacturing industries.
At AN Law Firm, Adaku focuses on evaluating and advising on data privacy and cybersecurity issues, and assisting clients enable and protect their intellectual property, while providing them with sound legal advice to drive their business and achieve their objectives. Her practice includes IP Transactions, Commercial Contracts, and Privacy & Cybersecurity law.
Before founding AN Law Firm, Adaku was a Technology Transactions and Data Privacy & Cybersecurity associate at Cooley, LLP, where she worked on various types of licensing deals, commercial contracts and privacy counseling. She also worked on IP and privacy due diligence for mergers and acquisitions and Initial Public Offerings (IPOs). She also advised clients on compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
Prior to joining Cooley, Adaku obtained extensive IP licensing experience as a Technology Transfer Associate in the Technology Transfer Program at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the Technology Transfer Office at the National Institutes of Health. While at these government technology transfer offices Adaku managed patent prosecution, marketed inventions, and worked with industry to commercialized technologies. She also negotiated clinical trial agreements and collaborative research and development agreements.
Adaku is also a registered patent attorney, and while she no longer prosecutes patent applications, her experience prosecuting patents in private practice and managing patent prosecution while in the government, gives her a unique insight into the early stages of technology development and commercialization that she utilizes in her IP Transactions practice.
Adaku is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US), and is licensed to practice in Virginia, New York, Illinois, and the District of Columbia.
· Life Sciences Transactions
· Technology Transactions/Commercial Contracts
· Data Privacy & Cybersecurity
· Digital Health & Healthcare IT
· Startups and New Business Services
· The George Washington University, School of Law, J.D.
· Johns Hopkins University, M.S.
· University of Maryland, College Park, B.S.
Admission to Practice
· District of Columbia
· New York
Certifications & Registrations
· Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
· Registered Patent Attorney (Reg. # 60,307)
· Minds Matter, Board of Directors (member)
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
· National Bar Association, member
· ChIPs, member
· Women Owned Law, member
· DC Bar, member (Law Practice Management committee volunteer)
· E-Health, Privacy, & Security Law, 3rd Edition – 2018 Cumulative Supplement, Chapter 17: Recent Cybersecurity Developments in Health Care, Contributing Author